The Thompson suburban coaches were built between 1947 and 1953. Batches of this diagram built up to 1948 had square corners to the quarterlights rather than the rounded ones depicted by this etch. (Numbers of those with square cornered windows are given for those who might wish to file out the radius of the etch as supplied.) The underframe, running gear and bodywork were the same as for the steel-panelled non-corridor stock built from 1938 onwards, except that the doors had different ventilators and the quarterlights were deeper.
This was the standard semi-corridor lavatory composite having three first and four third class compartments. The majority were built for the Scottish Region, although cascading to Eastern Region took place later in the 1950s as dieselisation and electrification got under way.