The Thompson suburban coaches were built between 1947 and 1953. The underframe, running gear and bodywork were the same as for the steel-panelled non-corridor stock built from 1938 onwards, except that the doors had different ventilators and the quarterlights were deeper.
This was the last new LNER designed coach to be built as it was not introduced until BR had been in existence for three years. It had two first and four third class compartments and a single pair of luggage doors. Four were converted to diesel brake tenders.