The Diagram 24 open wagon was first produced in 1883. It was originally rated for 8 tons with the single shoe brake, initially on one side only. At least 2,900 wagons were built to this specification by 1892. A further batch of 1,000 wagons built in 1899/1900 featured the McIntosh patent brake. Another 55 wagons uprated to 10T appeared in 1904, with self-contained buffers and a 5″ wider body.
Brake gear would have been updated to single shoe both sides, independent two shoe both sides, and later the Morton cam design. All four variations may be built from the kit.
Wagons of this type had a working life of 30-40 years and it is likely that some examples survived up to the 1930s or early 1940s. These wagons were seen nationwide carrying all manner of goods.