Mineral wagon development on the North Eastern Railway was based on the principle of bottom doors to facilitate self-emptying, the inside of the wagon being hoppered. A standard pattern evolved on the Central Division (the geographic area covered by the former Stockton and Darlington Railway) featuring end brake levers, which were made necessary by restricted clearances at pits etc. Whilst primarily used for coal they were also seen carrying sandstone, other minerals and slag.
Classified as Diagram P5 these wagons were built over many years, with changes only to the running gear. By 1907 some 14,262 had been built. For the most part they were rated at 11 tons. A version with modified frames and brake gear designated P17 was produced between 1907 and 1922. The LNER inherited 7,920 P5s, but apart from some in local use, all had been withdrawn by around 1940. Some passed in to private ownership and lasted even longer, and may even have seen service with the NCB.
This kit represents the prototype as built from 1889, with 5 planks and No. 2A grease axleboxes.
Wagon 54572 built by Paul Gallon.