This was the first LMS standard tender design to appear and clearly owed much to the final Midland tender. Initially they were built without either coal doors or coal rails, with the tank vents in the coal space. Coal doors first appeared in 1927 on those tenders built for the Royal Scots, allowing easy access to the coal space. Coal rails started to be added circa 1930, increasing the capacity from 5½ tons to 7 tons, but it was another year or so before they were incorporated as standard features for new construction.
To complicate matters many tenders were subsequently modified. Firstly coal doors were fitted retrospectively to many of the early tenders. Secondly on those tenders with coal rails the air vents were often re-sited outside the coal bunker on both sides of the dome. The result of this was that by the late 1930s there were six possible combinations of features. It is also worth noting that although of flush appearance, these tenders were of riveted construction using countersunk rivets. The final version had prominent snap head rivets.
Sold as one each of the TB5, TF4 and TC1 packs, at a discounted price.