Designed in the Adams era, these 10 ton wagons were built at Stoke and by a number of outside builders in substantial numbers prior to and immediately after the Great War. The D14 may be considered a larger version of earlier wagons such as the D12 by some 6″ in width and 11″ in length. The model is based on Stoke drawing number 1911 of 1 March 1913.
Fitted with independent either side brake gear and oil axle boxes from new, these open wagons were typical of the forward thinking prevalent on the North Staffordshire. Wagons of this type are known to have been in service in 1946 and very probably several years thereafter. They were used to carry all manner of general merchandise such as barrels, pottery in crates etc.
On some vehicles modifications were made including the fitting of a door banger on the solebar and the addition of new longer rubbing plates on the upper plank of the side sheeting to match. It is thought that some wagons were modified prior to Grouping.