The North Staffordshire Railway ordered 50 of these high capacity goods vans from the Metropolitan R C & Wagon Co in November 1911, with delivery to be within 16 weeks. Fitted with either side brake gear and oil axle boxes from new they were a state of the art design typical of the North Staffordshire at its zenith. Vans of this type are known to have been in service in 1937 and very probably saw BR ownership. Full details of this wagon, like most NSR rolling stock is obscure because of a fire at Derby which destroyed many of the records.
Over their service life these wagons were subject to the normal wear and tear of all rolling stock. Photographic evidence indicates that at least one of these vehicles was repaired using LMS axle boxes, RCH pattern brake shoes & hangers and disc wheels. As far as we can tell this was repair and maintenance rather than a planned upgrade or refurbishment. Other items changed included minor alterations to the door catches, hinges, roof and outside framing to improve water run off.