The NER 12T van was introduced in 1903 with full diagonal strapping, a mixture of vertical and horizontal boarding and a sliding roof door. From 1906 small corner plates replaced the full diagonal strapping, and vertical planking was introduced. Some vans had sliding roof doors across the full van width whilst on others they extended only half the width. After 1911 the roof doors were replaced by tarpaulins and the end cross members were omitted. Eventually, a plain solid roof was fitted. This kit represents a version of the van built from 1908.
Over 6,000 of these vans were built, being the most common pre-grouping van passed over to the new LNER in 1923. In 1940 almost 4,000 were still running of which nearly 1,900 passed to British Railways.