The Diagram G1 covered goods wagon, built 1886-1902, was one of the earliest NER vans and was used for perishable loads. Some vans were used as ‘Road Vans’ or `Yeast Vans’ and were allocated to specific towns. The yeast vans probably had four roof ventilators. Upon delivery of the larger G2 vans from 1902/3 road van and yeast van allocation ceased. Some later wagons were fitted with roof doors, but this feature did not last long.
As originally built, the G1 van would have had single side or Morton duplex brake gear with the same end brake lever arrangement. Later construction was fitted with Morton cam brake gear from new. These vans had a reasonably long life and many were fitted with oil axleboxes and uprated to 10T capacity. It is probable that the brake gear would also have been updated. This kit represents a No.2A grease axle box version and can be built with either the Morton duplex or Morton cam brake arrangements.
The G1 vans would have been progressively replaced after the introduction of G2 vans in 1902/3 and only one of the 1,100 plus built survived to 1940. This was number 12399, which was taken into departmental service as 01759 and lasted until at least April 1966 in its LNER livery (see Railway Modeller Feb. 1972, p58).
These wagons were a common sight in goods yards throughout Scotland and Northern England.