The North Eastern Railway built 245 F9s in their 1908-16 building program, the first entering service in 1909. British Railways inherited 129 in 1948, and all are likely to have been withdrawn by the mid-1950s.
During their life many were converted into refrigerator, insulated or fish vans, but few details remain of the vehicles converted. Fifty had been converted to refrigerator vans by March 1923 by the addition of interior ice tanks and casing up of the louvres. Of the 233 still in service in 1938, 23 remained as refrigerator vans, and 26 were allocated to fish traffic. In 1948 106 still ran as perishable goods vans, 18 as refrigerator vans, 5 as insulated vans and 5 as fish vans.
During the 1930s the LNER removed the Westinghouse brake gear.