Single bolster wagons were used to carry out all manner of long loads including bulk timbers, rails, fabricated steel work and boilers. Generally they ran in pairs but could be seen in threes, fours and even fives as traffic required.
The NER introduced the diagram D2 single wagon with ‘patent swivelling bolster’ in 1902. Over the next two years some 300 wagons were built, with No.2A grease axleboxes, Morton Duplex brake gear and the original pattern wooden bolster. It is probable that D2 wagons were uprated during repair and given oil axleboxes, steel bolsters and possibly Morton cam brakes. The kit includes optional parts for the latter two upgrades. The life of the D2 wagon was around 25-30 years. On retirement many single wagons were transferred to internal user work on the docks at Tyne Dock, Hartlepool, Hull and Middlesbrough.
The pack contains sufficient parts to build two of the wagons shown in the photo.