From 1904 to 1916, expanded metal frames were fitted to 101 C2 8T open goods wagons. This enabled the carriage of bulky but lightweight loads. Typical examples included coops, barrels, cotton bales and on occasions pit props. Photographic evidence suggests the conversions were made from older wagons with No.6 grease axle boxes and single brake levers, but parts for Morton Duplex and cam brakes are also supplied. Withdrawal dates are unknown, but with the existing age of the wagons and the flimsy nature of the cages which required constant repair it is thought that not many would have seen the end of the Great War.
These wagons would be seen in goods yards in the North East principally but may have left their native system for neighbouring railways. An interesting and unusual wagon for the pre-Grouping scene, particularly for the North of England and Southern Scotland.