Built from 1896 to 1902, a total of 602 of these 5T wagons were constructed. The slatted sides improved ventilation and with sliding doors for loading, the C1 was a considerable improvement over the previous 8T open fish wagon based on the C2 high-sided goods wagon. Side chains were fitted in the early days and some wagons were allocated to specific stations.
The C1 was gradually replaced by the F6 van but withdrawals did not start in earnest until after the Great War. By the Grouping 419 were left, and just one survived to 1940 (and all the way to nationalisation).
This wagon is known to have existed with a wide variety of braking systems including:
1) piped Westinghouse and/or vacuum;
2) vacuum brake;
3) Westinghouse and vacuum brakes.
Starting in 1909, the wagons were fitted with through steam pipes for working in passenger trains. This kit can be made into any of the brake variants and is supplied with vacuum and Westinghouse brakegear.