Diagram 109 was built between 1913 and 1915 and was the next step in the evolution of the NBR general merchandise wagon. They were larger than the earlier diagram 90 and carried a greater payload. The wagons were provided with independent two shoe brakes each side from new. Whist the number built is not known it is thought to have been in the hundreds. Thirty-nine were still extant in 1940, and 17 passed to British Railways in 1948.