The twin bar iron wagons were first built at Cowlairs in 1910 with an additional batch the following year. Hurst Nelson produced another 20 pairs in 1911.
The twin bar wagon was a useful vehicle consisting of two wagons permanently coupled by a bar and clevis arrangement. They were mainly used for the transport of iron and steel products but a wide range of other goods were carried when the need arose. The twin bar wagon was not a common user vehicle and many of were branded for return to a specific location such as “Return to Blochairn when empty” for example.
These wagons were a familiar sight in goods yards throughout industrial Scotland and much of Northern England. Whilst it is likely that many would have been in service during the Second World War it is known that only a handful of the Cowlairs 1911 batch were in service at Nationalisation.