Built in significant numbers from 1904 to 1914, these timber underframe drop sides were one of the stalwarts of the NBR wagon fleet. The life of open wagons was frequently over 30 years, so most would have been withdrawn by the 1940s; just one survived to BR days.
Their main area of activity was industrial Scotland and the border counties of Northern England. However, it is likely that these vehicles would have been seen throughout the country. Typical loads would have included cotton and wool bales, finished goods in crates and all manner of manufactured goods.