A stalwart of the North British general merchandise fleet, these centre door open wagons were rebuilt from fixed-sided wagons between 1905 and 1916. At first rated at 8T, many were uprated to 10T. This type of wagon generally had a working life of around 30 years and most therefore would have been scrapped by the late thirties. A few may have survived the Second World War.
Whilst their main area of activity would have been the industrial areas of Scotland and the Border counties of Northern England it would not have been unusual for them to venture further south.