First ordered in 1902, these wagons were used to carry all manner of goods, including pipes, tubes and metal finished products from manufacturer to final customer. Some were legended for specific locations such as “Return to Coatbridge (Sheepford)” in NBR days and “Empty to Stanton Iron Works” in LNER days; others were just plain “Tube”.
Diagram 43 was produced at Cowlairs and the first batch was probably delivered in 1903. Some were later fitted with oil axleboxes, and this is the subject of a separate 51L kit (NBRD043L).
They were a long-lived wagon with many making it to the 1940s and several still being around in the 1950s.