Fitted with end, side and bottom doors, the D351 8T high-sided goods wagons were most probably used for coal traffic. They were built to drawing number 790 of 1890 and over the next 10 years some 9,000 were built in seven lots. It is believed that examples were still in traffic in the early years after nationalisation.
As built these wagons were fitted with Midland Railway pattern Ellis grease axle boxes and two-shoe single sided brakes. It is probable that many wagons were fitted with either side brakes and possibly some with oil axle boxes.