This kit represents the Hull & Barnsley Railway’s first diagram of ventilated goods van. As supplied, it covers the batch of 20 built by Nelson in 1897, which had 3-link couplings, no through brake or steam piping and single sided ‘Scotch’ brake gear. A second set of brake gear is included to cover the change to either side brake gear in later years as the Board of Trade regulations changed.
The kit may be modified to the first batch of 25 built by Brown in 1890 by adding through vacuum, Westinghouse and steam pipes, screw couplings, and diagonal washer plates to the body. Modification to the 1893 Oldbury built batch is also possible (as for the Brown batch, but no Westinghouse pipes), but note that these had Mansell 3’7″ wheels, and were all vacuum fitted in 1905.
Between 1902 and 1920, wagons from all three batches were rebuilt to diagram 18, which featured a taller and wider body.
All unrebuilt diagram 15 vans probably passed via the NER to the LNER in 1923, but all had been withdrawn by 1946.