The 16T mineral wagon was produced from 1905. Steel, timber and flitched (steel plated timber) solebar versions were built. The flitch and timber solebar versions were built in house and the steel by outside contractors. This kit represents a steel solebar version with Morton cam brakes and three bolt buffers as built by a number of outside builders including Pickerings and Hurst Nelson.
Mineral wagons were the largest portion of G&SWR wagon stock and were used to transport coal and iron ore for the burgeoning Scottish coal and iron industry. By 1910 there were 250 16T mineral wagons in service, 1% of the total wagon fleet. By 1922 the 16T mineral wagon fleet had increased to 1,741 vehicles, 9% of the total wagon fleet.
Mineral wagons of this type would have seen at least 30 years’ service and many would have survived into BR ownership. They were commonly seen transporting coal throughout Scotland and could have been found in England and Wales.
The flitch underframe version is available as order code GSWMWF.