Several of these gunpowder vans were built at Gorton Works in 1902. It is also probable that the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway built some a few years earlier. At least 14 are known to have been built by the GCR, and all were extinct by 1947.
This van was of riveted steel construction to an unusual design, being some 14′ in length with a low body height of 4’5″ and a wheelbase of only 8’6″. Morton cam brakes were fitted from new along with Attocks round axle boxes.
Gunpowder and other explosives were used by a number of industries such as mining and quarrying as well as in munitions manufacture.