First built in 1882, these general merchandise wagons were one of the backbones of the Caley wagon fleet for many years. Originally introduced as an 8 ton wagon they were uprated to 10 tons. Many thousands were built.
Over the years the brake gear was modified from the single shoe one side pattern (as shown in the photo) to single shoe both sides and finally to the conventional either side pattern. Wagons repaired or built after 1911 were required to have a two-lever system but it is unlikely that many built with single sided brake gear were altered.
Our kit represents an 8 or 10 ton version with brake parts to build either the single shoe one or two sided version.
These wagons were built in large numbers and were to seen in goods yards throughout the country. It is thought unlikely that any survived the 1930s.