The Hawksworth coach designs spanned the period between the war years and nationalisation. Several designs, including this one, continued to be built into BR days.
The style was distinctive and although appearing massive they were handsome coaches. The fundamental changes were in the roof profile, which was rounded down at the ends (dome-ended), the reversion to a bow-ended design and an increase in length to 64′. The coaches were slab sided with very little tumblehome. They had end vestibules and a mix of corridor window sizes with 4′ for 3rd class and 5′ for 1st class. Sliding vents were provided in some corridor windows.
Most were introduced piecemeal as and when demands were made, although the Birkenhead-Bournemouth, London-Birmingham and London-South Wales workings were provided with sets in 1950, and The Bristolian was a Hawksworth formation in 1954. However, they could also be seen in branch line workings.
This product is suitable for both diagrams as they were externally identical.