Due to long term contracts with the Pullman Company the British Transport Commission were obliged to run Pullman coaches until 1962. It was considered that there was economic justification to build new stock even though the 1928 stock was still in sound mechanical condition. An order was placed for 44 coaches and in 1960 the Mk1 Pullmans were introduced. All were allocated to the East Coast Main Line for The Queen of Scots, The Master Cutler, Tees-Tyne Pullman and the Yorkshire Pullman. As there were no brake ended coaches in the build the 1928 parlour brake thirds were retained until 1965 when BR Mk1 58′ Full Brakes replaced them (Comet P4 and B10 respectively). They went on to provide the stock for The Hull Pullman, The White Rose, The Talisman and The Harrogate Sunday Pullman. The last BR services worked by these coaches were in May 1978 on the Yorkshire Pullman and The Hull Pullman.
Unlike the kitchen firsts and the parlour cars the kitchen seconds did not lend themselves to a useful refurbishment and in the 1970s were stored and eventually withdrawn.