At least 371 of these 25′ Clayton arc roof brake vans were built between 1877 and 1894. This was by far the most numerous of all the Midland ‘all brakes’. Originally oil lit, these vans were converted to gas probably at the same time as the Clayton 6 wheel stock, between 1892 and 1902. A number of these vans, believed to be 10, formed part of the Midland & Scottish Joint Stock arrangements. Eleven were transferred to the M&GN in 1902. Of the 49 vans known to have been passed to the LMS at Grouping only one remained by 1933, and this one was withdrawn by 1935.