Introduced by Bain, these carriages were used for both the Midland Railway’s own services and joint services with the NBR and G&SWR. Forty were built for the Midland, and 25 for the Scottish Joint Stock.
There were a large number of variations among what was a relatively small number of carriages. Some four different types have been recognised giving two height variations and differences in position of louvre vents. The carriages were originally gas lit but were converted to electricity by the Grouping. The gas lamps were removed and torpedo vents centred over the compartments. Battery boxes replaced the gas cylinders. The kit covers all these variations.
After Grouping, in 1928 some of the M&NB joint stock became part of the LNER fleet and was repainted in LNER colours.