These distinctive 6-wheeled coaches were amongst the first of the Stanier era designs. They were built for use in passenger trains, parcels trains and in newspaper distribution. The first coaches to the earlier diagram, built 1932/3, were transitional in that they appeared in full livery and some were fitted with torpedo roof vents. They had beading strips at the waistline and above the windows. Due to their having only 6 wheels they were later banned from use in express passenger trains, after which they were confined to parcels services.