The standard LNWR horsebox was a well-appointed design. The vehicle had a combined groom’s compartment with a separate luggage/feed compartment. The earliest horseboxes had the outside W-irons favoured in the 19th century. It is unlikely that any of these early vehicles survived into the LMS. The kit model represents the later version with conventional inside W-irons.
Vehicles built before 1906 originally had no hand brakes but these were added later. Like many LNWR vehicles of the period they were fitted more or less indiscriminately with either horizontal or vertical brake cylinders. Unfortunately it is not possible to say which horse box had which style of brake gear. The kit model is supplied with a vertical vacuum cylinder which would appear to be the more common type.
681 of these vehicles were built between 1890 and 1906 with a further batch of 11 in 1913. Most survived into the LMS period and four into nationalisation in 1948.