This kit the condition of these coaches as rebuilt. Completed originally in 1907 the first four, to lot 1131, could be considered part of the “Concertina” design, but the latter eight were “Toplights” with no recessed doors. On modernisation the original panelling was retained at the kitchen end but the saloon portion was given large picture windows with sliding vents to match contemporary coaching stock. The original 9′ American type bogies were replaced by 9′ plate, and by 1938 nos. 9534/8/41-4 had received 6-wheel bogies (see kit W2K for the 4-wheel version).
These coaches were very long lived, and after rebuilding some were retained on premier services. The capacity of the 70′ coach was such that an additional open dining coach was not required.