This diagram was built between 1948 and 1951. Those built up to no. 87067 of 1949 had square corners to the quarterlights rather than the rounded ones depicted by this etch. Numbers of those with square cornered windows are given for those who might wish to file out the radius of the etch as supplied.
The underframe, running gear and bodywork were the same as for the steel-panelled non-corridor stock built from 1938 onwards, except that the doors had different ventilators and the quarterlights were deeper.
This brake coach had four compartments and two pairs of luggage doors. Two of the 1951 batch, nos. 87245/70 were transferred in 1962 to the Hemyock branch of the Western Region to replace gas-lit ex-Barry Railway coaches. Their short wheelbase made them ideal for this task.