The NER had been building 8T open wagons since 1886 and in the 1893 diagram book they are referred to as High Sided Goods Wagons. Until the introduction of the C9 and C10 High Sided Goods Wagons in 1905 and 1908 respectively, the C2 was the mainstay of the company’s open stock. In 1911 there were 11,191 8T open wagons in service, and the majority were probably to Diagram C2.
This kit depicts the later version of C2 introduced from 1900 onwards with No.2A type axleboxes, diagonal side strapping and improved braking arrangements. The carrying capacity was increased to 10 tons. The wagon would initially have had Morton Duplex brake gear but from 1906 the Morton cam right hand end brake was fitted. Very possibly repaired wagons were also fitted with the Morton cam brake after this time.
With the introduction of greater capacity high-sided goods wagons from 1908 the C2 wagons were progressively replaced. Just 13 were still in stock in 1940, but all these survived until Nationalisation.
These wagons travelled the length and breadth of the country and were a common sight in goods yards particularly in Southern Scotland and Northern England.